Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I think I have a song for that....

I love music. Every kind of music. I love that my iPod can switch from Tool to Josh Groban to Britney Spears at any one moment. I love and appreciate all aspects of the music world, from amazing voices to musicians to enterainers that may not always be able to sing well but can entertain us in different ways or make us dance.

I am lucky to have married someone who loves music as much, actually more, than I do. He may not branch out to the likes of Britney and Justin much, but he can still appreciate it and is a good sport about it.

Not only am I a huge music fan, but I am one of those insane people that seems to have a running soundtrack for my life. Maybe that is incorporating my love for music, TV and movies into one. Or maybe because I am a product of the Dawson's Creek, Felicity generation where music was added into most of the show defining each moment. I am not sure. But I can seriously list a song or multiple songs to remind me of most major moments in my life. And not just defining the years, the actual day to day events.

There is the song that reminded me of my ex, the bad ex, that we all have but are thankful for. Because without his constant humiliation, cheating, making me believe (being so naive) that he was the one, and the heartbreak when that realization ended, I would have never learned some really important things about myself and my inner strength. Yea, there is a song for that.

Or the song that reminds me of a night out where a friend told my husband she was ruining her life just for playing it. A song by a rock band that doesn't even make sense, yet it ruined the hopes and dreams of one drunk girl riding in the back seat. That was a defining moment. (and well that was an easy one, it really defined itself. ha ha) Yea, there is a song for that.

Or the song that reminds me of when our great friend used to live with us and when Rob was traveling, we would sit around, listen to music and drink diet vanilla cokes and vodka. Or for each trip to Vegas/Mexico or just a fun night out. Yea, there is a song for all that.

Or the song that makes me think of my husband and all the struggles we went through with ourselves and the naysayers to get back together after 7 years apart. Yea, there is a song for that.

Or the song that I sing to my daughter that is her song. Or the song I will sing to my son that will be his song. The song they hopefully will remember and find comfort in long after I am done singing it to help them sleep, comfort them or just make them remember they are so fiercely loved that their tone deaf momma would sing that song 20 times in a row as long as they felt safe. Yea, there are songs for that. :)

So this is my latest and greatest defining song. I heard it at the end of one of my favorite shows and it brought me to tears. It is beautiful. It makes me think of my kids and I love it. It has become my adoption song. For my boy. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment